Welcome to Kendra Graham’s online Bible study. Our prayer is that you grow deeper in the knowledge and understanding of God’s Word and His promises for you. Below is the handout for the third week of the Bible study with a few homework questions at the end.
to FEED you…
STEP ONE: Pray
STEP TWO: Read the Text.
Exodus 16:1-3 (NASB)
1 Then they set out from Elim and all the congregation of the sons of Israel came to the wilderness of Sin which is between Elim and Sinai on the fifteenth day of the second month after their departure from the land of Egypt. 2 The whole congregation of the sons of Israel grumbled against Moses and Aaron in the wilderness. 3 The sons of Israel said to them, “Would that we had died by the LORD’s hand in the land of Egypt when we sat by pots of meat, when we ate bread to the full; for you have brought us out into this wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger.”
STEP THREE: WHAT DOES IT SAY?
THE FACTS ONLY, PLEASE
In this step you need to list the outstanding facts of the passage. DON’T get caught up in the details, just list the facts. Do not paraphrase. Use the actual words of the passage. This is God’s Word; a lot of times this step seems tedious to some, but I urge you, as we read and say and write God’s Word, it begins to sink deep into our hearts. If you just pick one fact out of the verse, write it down and meditate on it.
- From Elim, all the congregation of Israel came to the wilderness of Sin between Elim and Sinai
- The WHOLE congregation grumbled against Moses & Aaron
- Sons of Israel said “Would that we died by LORD’s hand in Egypt by pots of meat when we ate bread to the full; you brought us into wilderness to kill this whole assembly with hunger.”
STEP FOUR: WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
Look for a lesson to learn from each fact. What are the people doing that they should be doing? What are the people doing that they shouldn’t be doing?
Is there a command to follow? A promise to claim? A warning to heed? An example to follow? Meditate on these. Ask God what lesson it is that He wants you to hear or learn.
- When God moves, we need to follow; even if it means leaving comfort for the unknown. Things get hard and we tend to give up in the middle. We want God to make the journey easy, predictable and comfortable. Being in the middle is a HARD place to be.
- It is human nature to look to blame people for why you are where you are. We tend to blame others for not being God.
- When things get hard, it is easy to sell our souls for a bowl of chili with a baguette on the side. We want to leverage our #deliverance and control God. Personal comfort above all. We tend to believe what we see and feel over the presence and promises of God. What it comes down to is the fact that we do not really believe God has our best interests in mind. Sure God loves Moses and Aaron and will provide for them; it’s easier for them, because God loves them… God just doesn’t care about us, the little people, like that. God will never leave us or forsake us, but we are willing to trade our eternal soul for a minute of relief. The name of God is Jehovah Jirah… Jehovah, the high exalted God who wants to be known as MY PROVIDER… God cannot provide unless there is a need that you cannot meet. I AM more than #ENOUGH to provide for YOU.
STEP FIVE: WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO ME?
NOW APPLY IT…. TODAY.
Take the lessons you learned and put them into the form of a personal question that you would ask your spouse, or a friend, or your son or daughter.
As you write the questions, listen for God to communicate to you through His Word.
Do not rush. Do not write things down just to have something on paper, this step takes more time than you may think. This is where Scripture meditation becomes real. This is where you begin to hear that still small voice speak to you and place His finger in your life and begin to direct your paths…. this day, and the next, and the next. Do you trust Him enough to put into place that which He is moving you to?
How do you try to control when and where God leads? When was there a time when things were going great, you were following God, seeing God work, and then you got into the “middle” of it and felt God abandoned the calling and you so you gave up? Or did you not give up and continue to hold on in faith? What causes us to bail out of where God is leading us personally?
- When have you cast blame on someone else because it was easier than going to God in humility and asking Him where He is in the middle of the mess?
- What is your price? You have left or are willing to walk away forever from God if __________________________? You are willing to walk away from God unless he does _____________________________?
Do you want the “what” that Egypt has to offer or the “Who” that God is? Let’s be honest with God here… we ALL know the “right” answer, but between you and God ,what is YOUR answer? Do your words match with your life?
Do you really believe the God whose name is Jehovah Jirah will provide for you personally?
STEP SIX: LIVE IT OUT.
Look over all your facts, lessons and applications for a given passage.
Is there a main theme to them? Does one verse stand out over the rest for some reason?
Hold yourself accountable to live out in your daily life that which God impresses upon your heart. Write it out, sign it, date it and claim the transforming power of God’s Word and His presence in your life.
God has led us to the middle…. and God will lead us out. We live on God’s promises and the fact of His name, not explanations.
Know the promises of God.
Hold to those promises.
Even in the middle when we want to quit,
throw in the towel,
give it all up for a minute of comfort…
HOLD one more day.
Do the Three Questions on:
Exodus 17:1-5— any verses
Get stuck? www.annegrahamlotz.com
Click here for a schedule of seminar, concerts, and retreats at The Cove in beautiful Asheville, NC.
Are you a Christian church or non-profit ministry looking for a place to hold your conference, retreat or ministry event? Click here for more information on holding your event at The Cove.